Sunday, October 2, 2016

Red Thread

   
     There is an ancient Chinese proverb that states, "An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."
       My red thread to Ping began when I was twelve. I watched a documentary on orphanages in other countries and I decided I would one day adopt a child from another country. I really didn't think much about adoption again until a few years into my marriage. We had Tessa who was five years old and just starting kindergarten and our baby, Bella, who was not quiet two. I bought up adoption one evening to Billy and he was open to the idea and in that moment his red thread to Ping formed. We discovered we were too young to adopt from China. We could have chosen a different country, we could have chosen to adopt domestically, but none of those options felt right. So, we put the whole idea on hold. I remember telling my Mom how unfair it all was. She responded "Your child may not even be born yet. Wait for God's timing." Three months later Ping was born in China and five years later her file was prepared.
       Last August (2015), I saw the sweetest picture of a little Chinese girl. She had the most adorable cheeks and eyes that turned into almond slivers when she smiled. I knew in that moment that she was my daughter and I rushed to tell Billy I had found her. Billy agreed that she was adorable, but he had some reservations. How would we afford an adoption? Could we handle her special needs? I knew if Billy wasn't 100% sure we could not move forward. So, once again, I waited. My red thread to Ping stretched and it was painful. I prayed for months that God would change Billy's heart and he would know what I already knew; she was ours. During those months we took a class by Dave Ramsey and we were able to pay down our debt and create financial stability for our family. We reevaluated what was important to our family and began to seek God's will for our lives. I continued to pray for the little girl in the pictures, but my prayers became focused on her family finding her. The red thread between us twisted, tangled, and knotted.
       One afternoon Billy and I began discussing purpose and I mention adoption again. Billy surprised me by saying he was ready. We immediately searched for Ping's profile and we were thrilled to find it. Within two days we had verbally committed to her and begun the process of locking her file. The day we locked her file we told our families. Our red threads knitted together and formed a cord that spanned the oceans to Ping.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11
We are coming Ping!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment