Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Yard Sale

   
       I have held a number of yard sales in my life. Most were what I would consider successful. I managed to rid my house of items I no longer wanted and made a little money too. I think my biggest yard sale generated around two hundred dollars. So, when we decided to hold a yard sale as a fund raiser, I wasn't expecting to bring in a great deal of money. But, every penny helps!
       On the morning of the sale I prayed that God would bless our sale. We have a couple of large expenses coming up and I knew the extra money would help. I decided to think big and asked God to provide five hundred dollars profit. I was skeptical, but decided to pray anyways. We had already been blessed by a number of items from our friends. Since we moved and downsized quite a bit, we had a lot of items to sell. We debated on setting prices. I really hate all the effort required to price each item with tiny little stickers so I was truly looking for a reason not to do it.
       Throughout this process God has impressed upon me that I can not out give God. Even though we are saving, and cutting back, and working like crazy to meet our financial goal and bring Ping home, we must be generous (even with our finances). So we decided we would accept donations for our items. I printed posters with Ping's picture and a short bio. When people asked how much, we told them "Name your price; nothing's too small and nothing's too big!" I was in awe of our village! People gave generously and without hesitation. I met other adoptive parents, people who had been touched by children with Down Syndrome, and children who gladly gave their pennies for our sweet Ping. We raised $1015.06! "Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)
And because you can't out give God, we were able to donate:
                       * 28 pairs of shoes to a local little girl. She has Down Syndrome and Epilepsy and will                           benefit from a service dog. Her parents are collecting shoes for a fundraiser.
                       * Men, women, and children's clothing, kitchen appliances and dishes, an air
                          conditioner (window unit), toys, sheets, and a number of odds and ends to Western
                          Branch Philanthropy which provides aid to a number of locals and the homeless in
                          our community
                      * Books to a local teacher
                      * The remainder of our items to the Salvation Army
       I was reminded to think big and never limit God. I was skeptical that we could raise five hundred dollars and look what God did! Like the father with the sick child who cried out to Jesus, I too find myself saying "I believe! But, forgive my unbelief."
       Thank you to our village! You donated items for us to sell, you came and supported our sale, and you prayed for our sale to be successful. We can't do this alone. Thank you for coming alongside us each step of the way.
We are coming Ping!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment